Soheila Javaheri Mohebi
Born on the first of January 1979, she studied Electronic Engineering at the University of Tehran. During this period, she started writing screenplays.
After the fall of the Taliban regime in 2001, she moved to Afghanistan to take part in the cultural rebirth of the country. With a group of Afghan artist and filmmaker who returned from exile, she , found Razi Film House and she collaborated to the realization of films and reportages for the French television.
In the summer of 2004 she lived in Paris where she attended the program of documentary cinema at the international film school of Fémis.
After returning to Afghanistan, she organized many screening dedicated to the European cinema, ma she was forced to stop the project after receiving many threats.
In the summer of 2007, during the making of a documentary film about the killing of three female journalists, she was invited in Italy as a guest at the Religion Today Film Festival, where she also competes with the short movie Soldier (Brown Box).
During those days, Razi Film House is closed and going back to Afghanistan becomes too big of a risk.
Actually she lives in Berlin.
Language: Italian, French and English, Deucth in progress
Mother language: Farsi “Dari”
Experiences in Italy
- Editor of documentary series entitled “La solitudine nella politica”, for sito Zero-Sifr
- Assistant of director in fiction film directed by Iranian filmmaker , Mohsen Makhmalbaf , shoot in south of
- Director and editor of documentary film “Una Casa Sulle Nuvole”, Out of competition Venice 75 International film festival.
- Assistant of director in a documentary film “Casa Noha”, about Asylum seeker in the village in Alto Adige , North of Italy.
- 2018: Professor at the film director program at “Fondazione Demarchi”, for high school students.
- Jury member at the Afghan International Film Festival.
- Jury member at the Working Title Film Festival.
- Jury member at the Visioni Italiane Film Festival curated by the Bologna Film Library in the Un Altro Da Me section.
- Winner of the Mutti-AMM Awards for best screenplay for Una Casa Sulle Nuvole, awarded at the 73rd Mostra del Cinema di Venezia.
- Screening of Cittadini del Nulla and of the documentary Afghanistan 2014 – Dettaglio at the Krakow Film Festival in Poland.
- Screening of Cittadini del Nulla during the festival “Sguardi Alri” in Rome and Bologna.
- Professor of film directing during the worskhop “Un Altro Sguardo” organized by Sociocinema with the collaboration of Il Gioco degli Specchi and Associazione 46° Parallelo.
- Screening of the short movie Cittadini del Mondo, financed by Provincia Autonoma di Trento within the “Global School” European project, premiering at the Milano Expo.
- Screening of the movie Cittadini del Nulla at the 72nd Mostra del Cinema di Venzia, within the Premio Città di Venezia award.
- Screening of the film Cittadini del Nulla at the film library in Bologna within the festival Visioni Italiane.
- Award for best documentary for Agfhanitan 2014 – Dettaglio at the Kazan International Film Festival in Tataristan, Russia.
- Mutti Award for best screenplay at the Venice Film Festival.
- Professor of film directing at the “Città Invisibili” workshop organized by Sociocinema in collaboration with Il Gioco degli Specchi.
- Co-director with Razi Mohebi of the second episode of the documentary Afghanistan 2014 – Dettaglio produced by Filmwork Trento.
- Co-director with Razi Mohebi of the first episode of the documentary Afghanistan 2014 – Dettaglio produced by Filmwork Trento.
- She organizes the theoretical and practical workshop of video narrative.
2009 – 2010
- Assistant director of Gridami (Mela, Melograno, Blu) selected at the Venice Film Festival in 2010 within the section Città Invisibile.
- She directs Immigrazione e Problema di Lavoro produced by Cinformi (Centro informativo per l’immigrazione della Provincia Autonoma di Trento)
- Produces a series of eight short movies for the Degasperi primary school.
2009 – 2010
- Professor of film directing for Teatrincorso at Spazio 14 in collaboration with Format. Four short movies produced.
- Assistant director of the medium-length movie Reame del Nulla, selected at for the Mostra Internazionale d’Arte Cinematografica di Venezia in the Città Invisibile 2009 section.
- Professor of film directing for Teatrincorso at Spazio 14 in collaboration with Format.
- Co-director with Razi Mohebi of the short movie Carceri for the Forum Trentino per la Pace e Il Gioco degli Specchi in Trento.
- Co-director with Razi Mohebi of a short documentary of the ancient jobs in Vallarsa (Trento).
- Writes with Razi Mohebi the screenplay for a movie called Prison.
- Writes with Razi Mohebi the screenplay for a movie called Monologo.
- She is the protagonist with Razi Mohebi of the short documentary Solo Silenzio directed by Massimo Manincor, Sara Perugini and Luigi Tonezzer within the workshop “Make! Your Story” organized by Cooperativa Kinè in collaboration with ZeLIG Scuola di Documentario of Bolzano and Format – Centro Audiovisivi of the Provincia Autonoma di Trento.
Experiences in Afghanistan (2001-2007)
- Correspondent of Tolo Tv in Tehran-Iran.
She directs TV reportages for the French Television (ARTE, FRANCE 24, TF1).
Assistant director for a 60 minutes-long documentary about sport in Afghanistan produced by Olympic Commission of the country.
- She leads a research on the oral literature in Afghanistan.
- She directs the documentary Dance on Sick Land on the condition of widows in Kabul.
- She is the second assistant director for the movie Earth and Ashes directed by the French-Afghani director Atiqe Rahimi (Official selection Un Certain Regard at the Cannes Festival).